Thursday, February 10, 2011

Triumph:

We did it. We're able to talk and have a normal conversation. Before, he'd ignore me, call out for Ms. H and refuse my help even though I would be standing right next to him. But now, it's different. I got to him. By listening. Earlier in the year, he mention Robert Hughes, a Notre Dame football player that he grew up with. About a month ago, I contacted Robert to see if he wanted to come to our school and meet some students. I reached out to D.A. and asked for his help in planning Robert's trip to Collins. I think I was finally able to show him that I care about what he cares about, and that I'm here to help. So now in class, he's much more responsive to me. Instead of dismissing me, he calls out for me. Most of the time, he'd rather get my help than the teachers. And he is willing to stay after class to get clarification on the work. He's even my Recruitment Director for the Robert Hughes visit, and he even agreed to give the Thank You gift and say a few words!

We're continuing to make progress. I have a good feeling about this. I just have to stay on my game and find another thing that'll make him respond after the Robert Hughes visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment