Thursday, December 9, 2010

Listening Quiz

We had a listening quiz in class today. My 5th period did well, most kids (the especially chatty ones) were gone on a field trip so the students were able to focus and actually listen without distractions. 7th period however was a differnt story. As I was looking around while my teacher was reading the article, only 5 kids out of 30 were doing what they were supposed to be doing. It made me think of how the very important skills in life of simply listening, taking in what you hear, taking notes...how they just don't take any interest in it, even though they knew they would have a listening quiz at the end. They don't understand the importance. If they don't practice these skills, how are they going to be out in the "real" world? What jobs are they going to be able to hold?
How can I get them to understand the importance? What can I do?

One step at a time...one student at a time...

One of my girls in 7th period though did a great job listening. I was so proud of her. A,  the girl from my latest joy, took great notes during the activitiy and got 100% on her quiz! 

No comments:

Post a Comment