Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lunches with DA

Lunches with DA have been getting better! Last time I let him use my laptopand we looked up colleges he's interested in and baseball camps in the Chicago area that be might be able to go to. I really want to find some for him to go, I think it'll be good for him, expose him to other people, allow him to learn how to interact with other people outside of high school.

I talked to him mom too. He wasn't at school on Tuesday, so I called home to see where he was, if everything was okay. She asked me how he was doing and we talked about his progress and interests. I made sure I let her know about the colleges he's interested in and the ways that I want to help him. It was much better conversation than the last time I talked to her. Last time I caught her at work and I think it just caused her to stress out. But this time she sounded much calmer and much more receptive.

Overall I think DA is starting to see that I have the potential of helping him in some way. He's learning to trust me, slowly, very slowy, but surely. He keeps me on my toes challenging me to think of creative and interesting ways to get him engaged. I can't just do the simple things, the boring things, things that he's seen and isn't interested in , because he doesn't care about them, he'll get frustrated, and shut down. If the things I'm doing for him aren't helping or interesting, then why would he want to hear them?

He's teaching me to pay attention at a deeper level, teaching me how to push him without pushing him too far, teaching me how to fight without letting my emotions get in the way, he's teaching me how to teach him, he's teaching me how to teach myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment