Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Session Two...

Today I had my second official lunch with DA, I was a little scared that it wasn't going to be as good as our last one and especially because we weren't going to play basketball, I was going to try to do the planned lesson with him. I asked if he wanted to go outside with me but he refused because it was cold. Instead he wanted to go to the City Year room..."only if you promise me that you won't get distracted by the other people..." We sat down at a table and before I started talking, I could tell by his body language that he was going to be difficult. He kept playing with the staples and pins on the bulletin board and responding only with "nuttin'", "i dunno kno," "this is boring," and "I want to switch groups, this is boring, they're having more fun."

"Okay, well what can we do to change it then? To have more fun. I am more than willing to change things to make them more fun..."

He kept insisting on talking to my team leader, Jade, about switching groups because my group was boring. So we went over to her and they talked about the situation. At one point it seemed like he was about to cry and I thought maybe he was really listening and going to seriously consider changing his attitude. And apparently, he was great in 4th period after their talk. He worked hard and was respectful. So I had high hopes for seeing him in 7th period. But unfortunately, he was extremely difficult and disrespectful towards me. He kept getting frustrated at me, himself, the teacher, the school, everything.

It's upsetting knowing that he acts this way towards him when I want so badly to help him. One day he'll have enough trust in me...

No comments:

Post a Comment