Thursday, November 11, 2010

A surprise at Lake...

Today we had a training day downtown. On our way home at the subway station a student from my 7th period class came up to me with a huge smile and gave me a hug. "HEY! What are you doing here?!" We laughed a little bit and I introduced him to the other City Year people I was with. Turns out he was headed North because he was going to stay with his cousin for the weekend. On our ride up north we talked about school and how he can get his grades up and what he wants to do with his life. His family is full of rappers so he wants to become a famous rapper one day too. His uncle is apparently about to make it big in a year so when that happens he thinks he's going to finish high school through being home schooled and he'll try to begin his career as a rapper. Overall it was a great and happy experience getting to talk to him outside of school and get to know him better. I asked him what he thought about City Year and how we're doing... "You guys are doing good...but you guys can be annoying! Every time I turn around I see the red jacket standing behind me! You guys are everywhere!" "That's because we care about you! And probably because you aren't doing what you're supposed to be doing!" We laughed some more and we continued to enjoy our conversation. "You better have all your homework done on Monday, DC!" "Naw, I'm not gonna do any of it..." "WHAT!? But you have like 4 days to do it! You can do it, you have plenty of time!!! And its gonna affect your grade! Every single assignment counts!" "I'm just kidding, I'm gonna do it!" "You almost gave me a heart attack!" Soon after I got off at my stop, "see you at school on Monday, DC!" "See you, Ms. Serrano."

No comments:

Post a Comment